To begin with, the full form of RTO is the regional transport office. Further, the RTO Karnataka is an important administrative department of the state. The aim function of the office is registration of vehicles and issue of license. Furthermore, Karnataka RTO registration of vehicles is mandatory in the state.
Read through the article to learn more about the functions and working of RTO in Karnataka. Further, the article will also include information about Karnataka RTO numbers and codes.
As mentioned before, RTO is a regional transport office in the state of Karnataka. The aim function of the office is dealing with registration. Apart from this, the RTO Karnataka driving license is issued by the department. Furthermore, all districts in the state of Karnataka have an RTO office.
How to get vehicle insurance in Karnataka?
One important requirement for the registration of vehicles is an insurance certificate. Further, obtaining and maintaining vehicle insurance is mandatory in the state. Most vehicle dealers provide vehicle insurance services to their customers. Apart from dealers, several private insurance companies also offer this service. Visit your vehicle dealer or an insurance company to get vehicle insurance in Karnataka.
But before buying any vehicle insurance read the document carefully. Also, make sure the insurance provides maximum coverage against damages. Finally, check out RTO Karnataka app for more details on insurance and other services.
Karnataka RTO codes with office locations
In the state of Karnataka, there are several RTO offices located all over the state. The aim functions of all these offices are similar. The next part of the article will include Karnataka RTO codes and office locations. Please check the list to identify the nearest RTO office to your location.
Karnataka RTO list of codes and offices are as follow:
|RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE|
|Kolar Gold Fields||KA08||Kengeri||KA41|
|Mandya||KA11||Tiptur, Tumkur district||KA44|
|Madikeri||KA12||Hunsur, Mysore District||KA45|
|Hassan||KA13||Sakleshpur, Hassan District||KA46|
|Shimoga||KA14||Honnavar, Uttarakannada District||KA47|
|Sagar||KA15||Jamkhandi, Bagalkote District||KA48|
|Chitradurga||KA16||Gokak, Belguam District||KA49|
|Mangalore||KA19||Nelamangala, Bangalore District||KA52|
|Puttur||KA21||Nagamangala, Mandya District||KA54|
|Gadag||KA26||Chamrajpet, Bengaluru Dist – 560019||KA59|
|Haveri||KA27||R.T. Nagar, Bengaluru District||KA60|
|Karwar||KA30||Hubballi – 580026||KA63|
|Sirsi||KA31||Madhugiri, Tumakuru District – 572132||KA64|
|Kalaburagi||KA32||Dandeli – 581325||KA65|
|Yadgir||KA33||Tarikere, Chikkamagaluru District||KA66|
Out of this list, sixty–seven RTO offices are actively working in the State of Karnataka. Further, Karnataka RTO online services are offered by most of these offices.
Types of Vehicle Registration in Karnataka
There are only two types of vehicle registration in the state of Karnataka.
- Permanent registration- is a permanent identification number issued by the RTO for a vehicle. It is mandatory to obtain this number before riding a vehicle in India. Further, RTO vehicle information in Karnataka can be obtained through his number.
- Temporary registration– it is a number issued by the RTO when a vehicle is yet to be registered. Temporary registration is valid only for one month. It helps in identifying the vehicle until a permanent registration number is issued.
How to register a motor vehicle in Karnataka?
Registration of motor vehicle in Karnataka is compulsory. To register a motor vehicle, the owner of the vehicle must file an application form. The application form for registration is available online and offline. Collect the application form, fill the same and submit it. The vehicle registration process begins only after the submission of the form.
Lastly, the Karnataka RTO website also provides information regarding vehicle registration.
Functions of Karnataka Transport Department
The aim functions of Karnataka RTO are as follow:
- Registration of vehicles: RTO offices in the state of Karnataka has the sole authority to register vehicles. Further, RTO Karnataka vehicle owner details are recorded through registration. Later on, the office issues a registration certificate as proof of completion. Also, with the help of vehicle number owner details can be obtained from the RTO office. These days, Karnataka RTO vehicle details online are made available by the office.
- Issue of driving license: the next important function of RTO is an issue of driving license. Apart from recording Karnataka RTO vehicle details by the office, it issues a license. It issue license to only eligible candidates fulfilling all requirements.
- Collection of taxes and fines: the third function of the RTO office is the collection of road taxes from the vehicle owners. RTO fine in Karnataka is also collected by the concerned authority in the office.
- Issue of permit: Registering and recording RTO Karnataka vehicle details is important. As it helps the office in an issue of the vehicle permit. RTO issue both domestic and national permit for vehicles to move freely.
- Online services: the RTO offices in Karnataka also provides online services. One such important service is Karnataka RTO NOC online application.
Documents Required for Registering a Motor Vehicle in Karnataka
The important documents required for motor vehicle registration in Karnataka are as follow:
- Sale certificate and roadworthiness of the vehicle submitted through Form 22 and Form 21. Further, RTO Karnataka formsare available online and offline.
- Age and address proof of the vehicle owner along with photo
- Pollution under control certificate for a vehicle to be registered
- A valid vehicle insurance certificate
- Invoice of the vehicle
- Applicable fee and road tax
- Finally, a customs clearance certificate or loan hypothecation form (if applicable)
Documents Required for Getting a Permanent RC from the Karnataka RTO
The documents required for permanent RC are the same as those required for registration of a motor vehicle. These documents are as follow:
- Application form along with Form 21 and 22
- Proof of identity, age and address of the vehicle owner
- Addition certificates in case of special vehicle like CCC etc.
- Invoice of the vehicle
- Insurance copy
- Applicable fee and road tax
- Lastly, a temporary certificate in case it is issued
Documents required for getting a Temporary RC from the Karnataka RTO
- The first document required is the application form ( Form 20)
- Next sale of vehicle details through Form 21 and Form 22
- Copy of insurance certificate
- Address proof of the vehicle owner
- PUC for the vehicle
- Lastly, the PAN card of the vehicle owner along with the applicable fee
How to transfer vehicle ownership in Karnataka?
To transfer vehicle ownership in Karnataka the steps are as follows:
- First, Obtain a NOC from the traffic department – where seller and buyer live in different RTO jurisdiction
- Then, Visit the RTO office in your areas with the necessary documents
- Later on, Submit all the documents at the office along with the applicable fee
- Get your vehicle registered in case of inter-state transfer. In all other cases, this step can be exempted
- Lastly, pay road tax if and when applicable as in case of inter-state transfer
It is important to transfer the ownership of the vehicle as in RTO Karnataka vehicle details are recorded.
Documents Required To Transfer Vehicle Ownership in Karnataka
The list of documents required to transfer vehicle ownership in Karnataka are as follow:
- First application form for transfer made through Form 29 or 30
- Next, the original registration certificate of the vehicle along with the PUC
- Copy of valid insurance for vehicle and address proof for the vehicle owner
- Copy of Pan card for four-wheeler vehicles
- Next, a no-objection certificate for a vehicle under a loan from the bank or finance
- A clearance certificate from the parent RTO for the vehicle registered in a different RTO
- Lastly, a clearance certificate from the traffic department in case of a fine and NOC from the seller if it is a company.
Contact details of Karnataka RTO
The office addresses and phone numbers of RTO offices in Karnataka differ. Most of Karnataka RTO numbers and address are available online. However, the office of the transport commissioner can be contacted through Whatsapp and email.
The Whatsapp number for the commissioner is – 9449863459 and email Id is email@example.com
RTO Codes of Other States of India
RTO Codes for Union Territories
|Name of the Union Territory||Code of RTO|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||AN|
|Daman and Diu||DD|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||DN|
|National Capital Territory of Delhi||DL|