To begin with, RTO Bihar is a regional transport office located in the state. The RTO office is part of the transport department. It is set up all over India for vehicle registration and issue of license. Further, the RTO office is a government organization coming under Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.
Read through the article to learn more about Bihar RTO offices. The article will include RTO Bihar vehicle information such as registering and more.
Bihar RTO (BR RTO)
As previously stated in the article, Bihar RTO is a government organization in the state. The department is responsible for various vehicle-related activities. Further, the transport department is headed by the transport commissioner. He is the head of all RTO offices in the state of Bihar.
Furthermore, the Bihar RTO office is also responsible for the issue of registration numbers for vehicles. Bihar RTO code begins with BR. The letters BR stands for Bihar, the state in which the vehicle is registered. Lastly, the list of all RTO office codes in the state is listed in the below table.
How to Get Vehicle Insurance in Bihar?
Vehicle insurance is a mandatory document for vehicle registration in the state. The two main places to buy vehicle insurance are as follow:
- Vehicle dealer or manufacturer at the time of new vehicle purchase
- Insurance companies
In the state of Bihar, there are plenty of private and public vehicle insurance companies. These companies and dealers offer several types of insurance policies. However, third party and comprehensive vehicle insurance are the best among all. These two types of vehicle insurance policy offer wide coverage against damages. It protects people and property from damages of various kinds.
In simple terms, the purchase of vehicle insurance in Bihar is simple and easy. Also, the purchase of vehicle insurance is compulsory in the state.
Bihar RTO Codes with Office Locations
In the first place, there are nearly thirty–nine functionally Bihar RTO offices. These offices are established in various districts of the state.
Complete Bihar RTO code list is mentioned in the table below.
|RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE|
Types of Vehicle Registration in Bihar
The two main types of vehicle registration in Bihar are permanent and temporary. Further, temporary and permanent registration is important in the State.
Temporary vehicle registration service is offered by the dealer of the vehicle. At the time of new vehicle purchase, the dealer offers to temporarily register the vehicle. But this type of vehicle registration is valid for a short time. Its validity is only for a month from the date of registration.
On the other hand, a permanent vehicle registration service is offered at the RTO office. Further, Bihar RTO offices have the sole authority to register the vehicles permanently. Further, permanent registration of a vehicle is valid for fifteen years. Lastly, Bihar RTO registration numbers are issued only for vehicles permanently registered.
How to Register a Motor Vehicle in Bihar?
In the first place, registration of vehicles in Bihar is compulsory. Further, vehicle registration is an official document issued by the RTO office. It contains a registration number for the vehicle along with all other essential details.
To register vehicles, the applicant must visit the RTO office located in the area. At the time of visit, the person must file an application form. Then, he must submit the duly filled form along with supporting documents. The application form can also be found at Bihar RTO online portal. Finally, RTO officials will inspect the vehicle and documents before issuing the RC number.
Functions of Bihar Transport Department (BR Transport)
Bihar transport department is entrusted with several functions relating to the management of traffic and vehicles. The major functions of the department are listed below.
- The first function of the transport department is the administration of the Motor Vehicle Act and the rules framed under it
- The next function of the department is to issue and renewal of license and permit
- The third function of the department is providing and managing online services. Bihar RTO vehicle registration searchis an important online service provided by the department.
- Next, registering vehicles and their related services. The number issue after vehicle registration is important.
- The sixth function of the department is the implementation of vehicle emission and road safety rules.
- Lastly, the department is responsible for the integration of road transport with metro, railways and airports.
Documents Required for Registering a Motor Vehicle in Bihar
The main document for applying to vehicle registration is the application form. FORM 20 issues at the RTO office must be collected for vehicle registration. It is also available online that can be downloaded through the official website. However, along with the application form, the applicant must submit the following documents.
- FORM 21 – for sales certificate of the vehicle
- A form issued by the manufacturer for the roadworthiness of the vehicle FORM 22. But in case the vehicle is not body built an additional FORM 22A must be submitted
- Address and identity proof of the vehicle owner
- A Couple of passport size photographs of the vehicle owner
- A vehicle insurance copy
- Original vehicle invoice must also be submitted if demanded at the RTO office
- Further, in the case of an imported vehicle, a customs clearance certificate and design approval for STA vehicles is mandatory.
- Lastly, loan documents for the vehicle purchased under hypothecation.
After submitting the above-mentioned documents, the applicants must pay the fee for registration. Further, the RTO office visited by the applicant must have the jurisdiction to register the vehicle. Check the Bihar RTO list mentioned in the previous part of the article for more details.
Documents Required for Getting a Permanent RC from the BR RTO
The documents and procedure for obtaining a permanent RC are the same as vehicle registration. RTO offices in Bihar have the sole authority to register vehicles in the state. Further, the RTO office can alone issue registration number after successfully registering the vehicles.
The vehicles registered in Bihar are issued an RC book. RC book is an official document containing all the essential details of the vehicle. However, one additional document required for obtaining permanent RC is temporary RC (if any).
Documents Required for Getting a Temporary RC from the BR RTO
At the time of applying for temporary RC from Bihar RTO, the following documents must be submitted.
- The application form for the registration – FORM 20
- Sales certificate for the vehicle – FORM 21
- A manufacturer-issued roadworthiness for the vehicle – FORM 22
- Vehicle insurance certificate purchased by the vehicle owner
- A photo address proof for the vehicle owner
- Pollution under control certificate for the vehicle’
- Lastly, PAN card or Form 60/61 for the vehicle owner of cars.
How to Transfer Vehicle Ownership in Bihar?
Transfer of vehicle ownership in Bihar takes place in the following cases:
- Purchase of second–hand vehicle
- Death of the previous owner and passing of vehicle to his legal heir
- Vehicles purchased from an auction
To transfer vehicle ownership the person must visit the RTO office. The application form number for ownership transfer depends on the type of transfer. However, in the case of vehicle ownership transfer between two states a NOC is required. In such a transfer, the applicant must obtain a NOC from the traffic department.
Documents Required To Transfer Vehicle Ownership in Bihar
As mentioned before, the application form for vehicle ownership transfer is FORM 28, 29 and 30. Along with the duly filled application other documents to be submitted are as follow:
- FORM 31 for vehicle ownership transfer in case of death
- FORM 32 for vehicle ownership transfer of public vehicle purchased in an auction
- Certificate of registration of the vehicle by the previous owner
- Original sales invoice of the vehicle
- Address proof of the new vehicle owner to establish the RTO office has jurisdiction to transfer the ownership
- PAN card for car owners
- Pollution under control certificate for the vehicle
- NOC from the financer in case of vehicle purchased under a loan
- Pencil traced Chassis number and tax paid receipt.
Contact Details of Bihar RTO
Transport Department address and phone number is as follows:
Address: Vishwesaraiya Bhawan, Bailey Road, Patna – 800 015, Bihar 800001
Phone: 0612 254 6346
RTO Codes of Other States of India
RTO Codes for Union Territories
|Name of the Union Territory||Code of RTO|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||AN|
|Daman and Diu||DD|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||DN|
|National Capital Territory of Delhi||DL|