The Regional Transport Department of Mumbai (RTO Mumbai) was based on the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 of Section 213. There is no need to say that Mumbai is one of the most populated cities in India. In this overpopulated city, there is a great need for vehicle registrations. Moreover, lakhs of people are coming for vehicle registration in one month based on records.
RTO Mumbai follows and applies the rules and regulations of the Motor Vehicles Act. The RTO Mumbai is under the supervision of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Transport of Maharashtra.
Coming to the RTO in Mumbai, it is one of the 50 RTOs in Maharashtra. It operates effectively under the Ministry of Transport of Maharashtra.
Here is the Mumbai RTO website address, https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/1035/Home.
List Of RTO Offices In Mumbai
RTO Navi Mumbai has three active RTOs functioning effectively. For each RTO, there is a unique Mumbai RTO code. In addition to this, two more RTOs are functioning in different parts of the state.
|RTO NAME||RTO ADDRESS||RTO CODE||RTO CONTACT DETAILS|
|RTO Mumbai Central||Old Bodyguard Lane, Tulsiwadi, Tardeo, Mumbai, Maharashtra, Pin code – 400034||MH01||91-22-24932337, +91-22-24944601, +91-22-24944602|
|RTO Mumbai West||Mumbai West RTO, D/111, Ambivali Village, Versova Road, Near Manish Nagar, Andheri (West), Mumbai – 400053||MH02||91-22-6362252, +91-22-26366957, +91-22-26319821, +91-22-26323315|
|RTO Mumbai East||Mumbai East RTO B/2, 3rd Floor, Wadala Truck Terminal, Wadala Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra – 400037||RTO Mumbai East MH03||91-22-24036221, +91-22-24036479|
|Worli Deputy RTO Office – South Mumbai||25/Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Maharashtra – 400025||MH03||91-22-24935857 (Old Phone Numbers : +91-22-25285202, +91-22-24930299 +91-22-24349980, +91-22-25298686)|
|Dahisar Deputy RTO Office – Western Suburb||Dy. Regional Transport Officer, Wing-A Link Rd, Kandarpada Anand Park, Dahisar West, Near Borivali, Mumbai – 400068||MH47||91-22-26366957, +91-22-26362252, +91-22-26319821, +91-22-26323315
Functions Of RTO Offices In Mumbai:
The primary function of the Mumbai RTO is to ensure that the city is strictly following the Mumbai RTO rules and regulations of the Motor Vehicles Act. Other functions include the issuance of driving licenses, registration of vehicles, collection of road taxes, etc. Here are the functions of Mumbai RTO:
- The RTO is responsible for collecting road taxes.
- The RTO office Navi Mumbai has to issue the driving license. For getting one has to pass the RTO Mumbai learning license test. You can visit the Navi Mumbai RTO office to apply for a driving license. Another way is to visit the Mumbai RTO official website for applying the same. You can even check the RTO Mumbai driving license status
- The RTO Navi Mumbai is the main department that issues 31 different types of licenses and permits. Some of them include national permits, private service vehicle permits, specific contract carriage permits, all India tourist permits, etc.
- For getting NOC, transport permits, registration certificates, you need to visit the RTO office Mumbai. For getting NOC, one has to fill the Form 28 RTO Mumbai.
- For getting a Mumbai RTO driving license, one can also use the Sarathi Portal, which is a valid website.
- Other functions include the transfer of ownership of vehicles, issuance of the duplicate license, etc.
Types Of Vehicle Registration In RTO Mumbai:
There are two types of vehicle registration in RTO Mumbai:
- Temporary Vehicle Registration: A vehicle dealer will issue you a temporary registration number which you can use for the first 7 days. This is counted from the delivery date of the vehicle. One can extend this date up to a month. During this period, one has to get the permanent registration number.
- Permanent Vehicle Registration: Mumbai RTO office has to issue a valid vehicle registration certificate. For getting this permanent registration, one has to visit the RTO Mumbai office. After visiting the office, one has to fill the application form and submit the required documents. One can apply even use the Mumbai RTO app for applying RC.
How To Register A Vehicle At Mumbai RTO?
RTO registration is compulsory to travel on the roads of India. Based on the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, it is compulsory to register the vehicles before using them on roads. Mumbai RTO issues RC for vehicles running on the roads of Mumbai city. One can get a fancy registration number too, as there is an RTO choice number availability Mumbai. For registration, one has to submit the following documents.
Documents Required For Registering A Vehicle In Mumbai:
- Form 20 or the application form for vehicle registration
- Form 22 roadworthiness certificate from the manufacturer
- Form 21 or sales certificate from the dealer
- Identity proof documents
- Address proof documents
- An Invoice that you got from the dealer
- An Invoice for the imported vehicles and sales clearance certificate for the same
- Temporary RC number
- For trailer vehicles, submit the STA approved design
- Road tax proof
- Passport-sized photographs of the vehicle owner
- Vehicle registration fee or pay it online using e challan Mumbai RTO
The above documents are the same that you need for permanent registration of vehicles.
How To Renew A Registration Certificate In Mumbai?
One has to carry a valid RC while driving on the roads of Mumbai. This is to avoid the Mumbai RTO fine. For private vehicles, the RC is valid for 15 years, and for commercial vehicles, the RC is valid for 3 years. In such a situation, one has to renew the RC after its expiry. You need to submit the following documents for the renewal of the RC.
Documents Required For The Renewal Of RC
Here are the documents that you need to submit for the renewal of RC.
- Valid insurance documents
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
- Form 25 or application form for renewal of RC
- Original registration certificate
- One has to visit the RTO office for vehicle inspection
- Application fee for renewal
After verifying the above documents, the RTO Mumbai will issue you the new RC.
Transfer Of Ownership Of Vehicle In Mumbai
If the vehicle is from another state, one has to transfer the ownership for vehicles. One can do this process by visiting the RTO Mumbai. One has to transfer the ownership by submitting Form 29 and Form 30. Also, submit the following documents for this process.
- Form 29 and Form 30
- Form 33 for address change
- Form AT and Form FT
- Form 28 for getting NOC
- Submit the affidavit so that the vehicle is out of any crime or accident
- Form TCR and Form TCA for transport type of vehicles
Process Of Updating An Address In RC In Mumbai
If the vehicle owner changes his/her address, he/she need to update the same in RC. This procedure needs you to fill an application form and submit the same to the RTO office. The Registering Authority will take care of this procedure to update the new address in the RC book. Here are the documents that you need for this procedure.
- Address proof documents
- Form 33 which is filled
- RC of the vehicle
- Road tax paid receipts
- Application fee for updating the new address
- NOC from the financier
- Valid insurance copy of the documents
This is all about the RTO office in Mumbai. One can contact through phone or register their queries on the official website of RTO Mumbai. The official website is https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/1035/Home which you can visit for your doubts. One can write the RTO Mumbai exam for getting jobs in the transport department.
RTO Codes of Other Top Cities in India
RTO Codes for States in India
RTO Codes for Union Territories
|Name of the Union Territory||Code of RTO|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||AN|
|Daman and Diu||DD|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||DN|
|National Capital Territory of Delhi||DL|